Last year, comedian Tracy Morgan and his friend James McNair were involved in a serious truck accident. Tracy suffered severe injuries and McNair was killed when a Walmart truck collided with the limo bus that was carrying the comedians who were returning from a comedy show. In the wrongful death lawsuit brought by McNair’s children, Walmart agreed to pay out a $10 million settlement to the children. You can read more about Tracy Morgan’s accident here.
Traumatic Brain Injury Stats
Numerous reports stated that Tracy suffered broken bones (broken leg bones, a broken nose and several broken ribs) and may have suffered a brain injury as a result of the crash. According to The Brain Trauma Foundation, auto accidents are the second most common cause of traumatic brain injuries, after falls. Additionally:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is the leading cause of death and disability in children and adults from ages 1 to 44.
- Every year, approximately 52,000 deaths occur from traumatic brain injury.
- At least 5.3 million Americans, 2% of the U.S. population, currently live with disabilities resulting from TBI.
- Moderate & severe head injury (respectively) is associated with a 2.3 and 4.5 times increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Males are about twice as likely as females to experience a TBI.
As you can see, brain injuries can have long-lasting and even permanent consequences. Make sure your auto accident attorney recovers the maximum in financial damages that are available to you so that you can take care of yourself or your loved one down the road.
Tracy Morgan’s Settlement
While the terms of the settlement between Tracy Morgan and Walmart are confidential, the former 30 Rock star says he is satisfied with them. “Walmart did right by me and my family, and for my associates and their families. I am grateful that the case was resolved amicably,” Morgan said in a statement.
If you or a loved one are injured or killed in a San Fernando Valley auto accident, you need the best legal representation in order to ensure that you receive the financial compensation that your injuries deserve. If you need to discuss filing a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of a loved one or filing a personal injury claim for a brain injury or other injury, truck accident attorney Barry P. Goldberg and his legal team are available 24/7 to take your call. Consultations are free.