Insight from a Sex Discrimination Lawyer Woodland Hills CA Offers
Sexual discrimination occurs most often in the workplace. You may be wondering how to know if this type of discrimination is happening to you or someone you care about. Listed below are common questions surrounding sexual discrimination that a sex discrimination lawyer often hears from clients. The topic of sexual discrimination can be a very sensitive one, and many are afraid to report events that happen to them in the workplace.
What are signs of sexual discrimination?
Finding evidence for sexual discrimination can be difficult, but possible if you know what you are looking for.
- Your employer pays staff of the opposite sex higher than you even though you are doing the same job
- You frequently receive above average performance reviews but are still passed over when it comes to promotions and opportunities. Coworkers who are less qualified continually get hired into these new positions over you
- You are told the job you want is more suited for someone with a leadership style of your opposite gender
- Your boss gives benefits to wives of male employees, but not to husbands of female employees
Is sexual discrimination always about gender?
No, gender discrimination laws also encompass those being treated unfavorably due to transgender status and/or sexual orientation. It is against the law to harass someone due to their sexual identity or preferences. A company policy that is applicable to all employees regardless of gender can still be illegal if the policy negatively impacts those of a certain sex, but is not related to the job itself or operation of the business.
What are common scenarios of sexual discrimination?
Legally, there are a few main sexual discrimination scenarios that happen frequently in the workplace. They are listed as follows:
- Discriminatory promotions and policies
- Pay gaps between genders
- Wrongful termination practices
- Threats of retaliation if discrimination is reported
- Sexual harassment
- Wage violation
Should I hire an attorney?
People who believe they are suffering from being victims of sexual discrimination may choose to seek a sex discrimination lawyer. Many law offices offer a free consultation, so you can find out more about the legal process before committing fully to filing a claim against your employer. A sex discrimination lawyer can evaluate your case to help you decide if it is the right decision for you. Learn about When is a workplace legally allowed to discriminate?
Who is most likely to discriminate?
Most often it can be a manager or supervisor who treats a subordinate in an unfair manner. However, indirect supervisors in another department, co-workers, clients, or customers can also commit sexual discrimination in the workplace. Learn about How to Take Action Against Sexual Discrimination.
The first step of utilizing your rights involves an education and awareness of sexual discrimination. Some employees are afraid of employer revenge or punishments if they report a sexual discrimination incident. However, it may be a reasonable choice to schedule a consultation with a sex discrimination lawyer Woodland Hills CA clients trust if you believe this has happened to you at any time during your employment.
Putting an End to Sexual Discrimination
Each day, more and more people who have been sexually discriminated against find their voices and file complaints against the perpetrators. Sexual discrimination occurs when you are treated differently or unfairly because of your gender. Losing out on promotions to someone of the opposite of sex, despite a stellar work record and performance, is a common example of this.
Fighting sexual discrimination requires that victims feel safe enough to come forward and report their experience. For many sufferers, the wounds of discrimination can run deep, meaning that it can take a lot for someone to come forward and share their story. Many choose to hire a sex discrimination lawyer in Woodland Hills CA from Barry P. Goldberg to represent them and protect their rights.
Reporting Sexual Discrimination
There are a number of reasons why a victim may not immediately report sexual discrimination. They may delay it for months or even years or never come forward. They may be in shock and disbelief; they may even fear that their employment could be further impacted if they report the behavior and suspicions. An attorney from Barry P. Goldberg in Woodland Hills CA can provide the victim with the legal support, and that in turn can offer them the strength they need. If this describes your circumstances, call us today to request a free consultation with Mr. Goldberg.
Recognizing the Signs of Sexual Discrimination
It can be challenging to protect your rights and self-advocate when you find yourself in a situation in which you have been discriminated against. That’s why working with a sex discrimination lawyer in Woodland Hills CA from Barry P. Goldberg can be so important. If the person who treated you unfairly was your superior, it may be difficult to come forward. For some, it may feel easier to just ignore the problem.
Sometimes, discrimination can be so subtle that you may have a difficult time deciphering whether or not you have been a victim. If you are looking for legal guidance, consulting a sex discrimination lawyer can help determine if you have fallen victim to sexual discrimination. Here are common signs you may have been discriminated against:
- Being excluded from gatherings or work meetings.
- Not being offered the same opportunities as other employees of the opposite sex.
- Not being offered the same opportunities because you are pregnant or have children.
- Receiving pay unequal to that of someone of the opposite gender whose position, title, job duties, and other details are the same as yours.
Shifting Our Culture
Across the country, many companies have instituted programs that provide people with training regarding sexual discrimination. Despite this, the harsh reality is that sexual discrimination is still prevalent in today’s society. Ending sexual discrimination begins with those who have fallen victim to this type of abuse. When they come forward, others may feel empowered to do the same. By protecting your rights, you can help create a culture that no longer allows for people in power to abuse their power. Call Barry P. Goldberg, a sex discrimination lawyer in Woodland Hills CA, and request a free consultation to discover how he may be able to help you.
FAQ: Understanding Sexual Discrimination
In 2018, it can be shocking to come to the realization that people still experience discrimination. Sexual discrimination, unfortunately, is still prevalent in today’s society.
Barry P. Goldberg is a Woodland Hills CA sex discrimination lawyer who understands that you may be completely overwhelmed when it comes to sorting out your case. We have compiled a list of commonly asked questions by those faced with sexual discrimination cases:
What is sexual discrimination?
Although sexual discrimination can happen in a variety of ways, it frequently occurs in employment settings. Sexual discrimination is when a person is discriminated against due to their sex when either seeking employment or in the workplace. Gender identity is another way in which someone can be sexually discriminated against in the workforce. Some examples of how sexual discrimination presents itself include:
- Unequal pay
- Job duties
Unequal treatment in the workplace due to a person’s gender is considered illegal. Although our society has come a long way, women, in particular, still must fight every day for equality in the workplace. Gender discrimination can have a significant impact on a business and its employers. It’s important that employers take appropriate measures to ensure that there is equality in their workplace and for employees to be able to spot the signs of gender discrimination.
What should I do if I have experienced sexual discrimination?
If you have experienced discrimination in the workplace, knowing what to do next can be confusing. First, start with reviewing your employee handbook to gain knowledge of your company’s policy. In the meantime, put together a clear, detailed record of the events surrounding the discrimination and harassment that you have experienced.
It is always best to report your grievance to your supervisor or human resources department. This is particularly crucial if it is a requirement of the company you work for. If you find that your employer does nothing to manage the situation or you experience retaliation as a result, it may be a good time to speak with a Woodland Hills CA sex discrimination lawyer and file a complaint with the EEOC.
How do I file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)?
When it comes to filing a formal complaint, there are clear time frames in which you have the ability to do so. Bear in mind that you can start with speaking with the EEOC for their counsel regarding resources and the most appropriate course of action. However, you will need to act swiftly. You have 180 days from the date the harassment or discrimination occurred to take action with the EEOC. This is called a “Charge of Discrimination,” which is a written statement outlining the discrimination you have experienced at the hands of your employer.
Many experience feelings of denial or disbelief when faced with sexual discrimination. Because of this, many may choose to never come forward or take action. Consulting with the EEOC and contacting a Woodland Hills CA sex discrimination lawyer may be helpful for those who may be struggling with the best course of action to take.
If you have been subject to sexual discrimination, Barry P. Goldberg may be able to assist you. We have experience and knowledge in representing victims of sexual discrimination. Contact us today to set up a free and confidential consultation with a sex discrimination lawyer Woodland Hills CA clients recommend for the help and experience you not only require but deserve. Let us help you figure out the best way to take action.
Common Myths About Sex Discrimination in the Workplace
Unfortunately, sex discrimination stills occurs in the workplace in this day and age. Although it’s an illegal practice, some employers may still try to get away with it. Here are some common myths about sex discrimination in the workplace.
- Sex Discrimination Only Occurs at the Worst Companies: Some people may assume that only the worst of the worst employers discriminate against their employees for their gender. However, as a sex discrimination lawyer in Woodland Hills, CA can confirm, this type of discrimination can happen in just abouy any workplace.
- Those Who File Sex Discrimination Claims Are Just Looking for Money: One of the biggest misconceptions about sex discrimination is that those who file claims are just looking for a payday. The truth is that most people who file these claims are looking for justice and want to be treated fairly in the workplace.
- It’s Impossible to Win a Sex Discrimination Claim: A common reason why some employees hesitate to file a sex discrimination claim is because they believe they have no chance of winning. Although it is not easy to win this type of claim, it is not impossible. The most effective way to increase your chances of a successful claim is to hire an experienced lawyer. He or she will help you build a strong case against your employer and protect your legal rights.
- Sex Discrimination Is Always Intentional: At first, it may seem that sex discrimination in the workplace has to be intentional. However, that isn’t always the case. Sometimes it can actually be unintentional. For example, if a female employee never gets her ideas considered at meetings, but male employees always get their ideas heard, it may be a sign of unintentional gender discrimination.
- It’s Best to Ignore Sex Discrimination Until It Stops: The bad news is that sex discrimination in the workplace rarely just stops on its own. If you believe you’re being discriminated against for your gender, don’t just assume that it will stop. Instead, contact your human resources department and tell them what is going on. If the department fails to address the issue, you should speak to a sex discrimination lawyer in Woodland Hills, CA about filing a legal claim. You don’t deserve to be treated this way and filing a claim may be the only way to stop it.