Elderly Accident Lawyer Reseda, CA
If you were injured in a car accident caused by a senior driver, you should speak to an elderly accident lawyer Reseda, CA residents trust. You may be entitled to compensation. A lawyer can help you file a timely claim and ensure your rights are protected.
What Causes Seniors to Have More Car Accidents?
While teenagers are known for getting into more car accidents because of speeding, elderly drivers get into accidents for other reasons, including:
- Vision Issues: It’s not uncommon for people’s vision to deteriorate as they get older. Unfortunately, if they get behind the wheel with vision issues, they can endanger everyone on the road. Elderly drivers with vision problems won’t be able to judge distance and speed. They also won’t be able to deal with the glare from brake lights, headlights and sunlight.
- Reaction Time Problems: As an elderly accident lawyer in Reseda, CA can confirm, many elderly drivers have reduced reaction times. Reaction time refers to the time required to recognize a response to hazard is needed. Whether due to vision or physical issues, slower reaction times can prevent seniors from hitting their brakes in time.
- Physical Conditions: As people grow older, they’re more likely to develop physical issues. Some of these physical issues can make it more dangerous for them to operate a vehicle. For example, if they have limited mobility or stiff muscles, they may have difficulty maneuvering their vehicles properly. They may also have trouble steering or braking the vehicle.
How Can Seniors Stay Safe Behind the Wheel?
Although all drivers should take safety precautions before getting behind the wheel, senior drivers should especially make this a priority. Here are a few ways elderly drivers can stay safe while driving.
- Limit Driving to Daytime Hours: As mentioned above, seniors are more likely to have vision issues than their younger counterparts. Since it can be more difficult to see at night, seniors should limit their driving to daytime hours.
- Avoid High Traffic Areas: If possible, seniors should avoid driving in areas with high amounts of traffic. They are more likely to get stressed and may not be able to react quickly enough if other motorists make risky driving maneuvers.
What Should You Do If You Get Into an Accident Involving an Elderly Driver?
If you were recently in a car accident that involved a senior driver, you should consult a car accident lawyer in Reseda, CA as soon as possible. He or she will help you gather important evidence that pertains to your case, such as police reports, medical records, and witness statements. Your lawyer will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and won’t let them take advantage of you.
Contact an elderly accident lawyer at the Barry P Goldberg Corporation law team. Call today.
Beyond Car Accidents
As an elderly accident lawyer Reseda, CA residents trust can tell you, experienced elder attorneys know how to represent their clients in cases involving personal injury and wrongful death claims caused by negligence and assault. Lawyers handle cases such as nursing home neglect, vehicle accidents, slip-and-falls, and other personal injuries that can cause serious harm or death to the elderly. The right attorney will have experience that allows them to handle almost all legal aspects of your case from start to finish. From the initial investigation to filing and litigating your case in court, they do it all — which is why you should contact a lawyer at the Law Offices of Barry P. Goldberg today for help with your case.
Types of Accidents
The elderly are at a higher risk for accidents than other age groups. Many accidents happen in the home because seniors don’t recognize dangers or risks that may exist. They also have difficulty moving around and often lose their balance easily. Additionally, they are more likely to experience debilitating falls because their bones become brittle and fragile with age. Elderly people are also more likely to live in poverty and be isolated from the community which can make it difficult for them to get help if they need it.
An older person might slip on wet tile while cooking and fall into the stove, causing second degree burns. Or, a senior might be walking through a grocery store when they trip over an uneven floor surface and break their hip bone. Other possibilities include slipping on ice or water, getting cut by broken glass or running into furniture because of poor eyesight. Some injuries could even result in paralysis. When this happens, the injured person will need time off work and will incur large medical bills as well as lost wages from not being able to work. If you’re caring for a loved one who is aging then take care of yourself too — try to find someone else who can provide support for both of you so you’re not exhausted all the time.
How to Prevent Elderly Accidents
Elderly accidents are unfortunately very common. The most common type of elderly accidents in the US is falls. Falls cause more than a quarter of all injuries and deaths in older adults and they have been found to be the primary cause of injury-related death among people aged 65 years and older. With this being said, there are ways to prevent falls as well as other types of elderly accidents such as car accidents. For instance, if you’re going to take a long walk or hike with your grandparents make sure that you plan out the route beforehand. Make sure that it’s not too long for them and that it doesn’t have any steep hills or tight spaces where they might slip or fall. Also don’t forget to bring water and snacks with you on your excursion! And if an accident does occur, contact a Reseda elderly accident lawyer.
What to Do After an Injury
If your elderly loved one gets injured and needs assistance, you should take the following steps:
- Get a doctor to examine your loved one. The doctor will do some tests and determine the severity of their injury.
- Contact a personal injury attorney for assistance with filing a claim against the person who caused your loved one’s injuries.
- Make sure that your elderly loved one is comfortable and has what they need to recover after the injury.
Contact a Reseda elderly accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Barry P. Goldberg today for help with your case.