Elderly Accident Lawyer Reseda, CA
If you were injured in a car accident caused by a senior driver, you should speak to an elderly accident lawyer Reseda, CA residents trust. You may be entitled to compensation. A lawyer can help you file a timely claim and ensure your rights are protected.
What Causes Seniors to Have More Car Accidents?
While teenagers are known for getting into more car accidents because of speeding, elderly drivers get into accidents for other reasons, including:
- Vision Issues: It’s not uncommon for people’s vision to deteriorate as they get older. Unfortunately, if they get behind the wheel with vision issues, they can endanger everyone on the road. Elderly drivers with vision problems won’t be able to judge distance and speed. They also won’t be able to deal with the glare from brake lights, headlights and sunlight.
- Reaction Time Problems: As an elderly accident lawyer in Reseda, CA can confirm, many elderly drivers have reduced reaction times. Reaction time refers to the time required to recognize a response to hazard is needed. Whether due to vision or physical issues, slower reaction times can prevent seniors from hitting their brakes in time.
- Physical Conditions: As people grow older, they’re more likely to develop physical issues. Some of these physical issues can make it more dangerous for them to operate a vehicle. For example, if they have limited mobility or stiff muscles, they may have difficulty maneuvering their vehicles properly. They may also have trouble steering or braking the vehicle.
How Can Seniors Stay Safe Behind the Wheel?
Although all drivers should take safety precautions before getting behind the wheel, senior drivers should especially make this a priority. Here are a few ways elderly drivers can stay safe while driving.
- Limit Driving to Daytime Hours: As mentioned above, seniors are more likely to have vision issues than their younger counterparts. Since it can be more difficult to see at night, seniors should limit their driving to daytime hours.
- Avoid High Traffic Areas: If possible, seniors should avoid driving in areas with high amounts of traffic. They are more likely to get stressed and may not be able to react quickly enough if other motorists make risky driving maneuvers.
What Should You Do If You Get Into an Accident Involving an Elderly Driver?
If you were recently in a car accident that involved a senior driver, you should consult a car accident lawyer in Reseda, CA as soon as possible. He or she will help you gather important evidence that pertains to your case, such as police reports, medical records, and witness statements. Your lawyer will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and won’t let them take advantage of you.
Contact an elderly accident lawyer at the Barry P Goldberg Corporation law team. Call today.