Hit and Run Lawyer Simi Valley, CA
If you’re the victim of a hit and run accident, you should consult a hit and run lawyer in Simi Valley CA. What happened to you was unjust and you deserve to be compensated for that. A lawyer can help you pursue compensation and look out for your best interests.
Common Causes of Hit and Run Accidents
A hit and run occurs when a driver leaves the scene of a car accident. Here are some common causes of hit and run accidents:
- Outstanding Warrants: A driver who has outstanding warrants may be more likely to leave the scene of a car accident. He or she may be afraid of getting arrested when a police officer runs his or her driver’s license information.
- Drunk Driving: Some drivers flee the scene of an accident because they’re drunk. They know police will notice that they’re impaired and take them to jail. A drunk driving conviction can carry severe penalties, like jail time, fines and a permanent criminal record.
- Driving Without Insurance: In the state of California, all drivers must carry adequate auto insurance. Therefore, a driver may be more likely to leave the scene of an accident if he or she is uninsured. This person may not want to face the legal consequences of driving without insurance.
- Nervousness: As a hit and run lawyer in Simi Valley CA can confirm, some drivers just panic and flee the scene of a car accident. They might have a clean record, but are afraid of the consequences of causing an accident.
Steps to Take After a Hit and Run Accident
A hit and run accident can definitely leave you in a state of shock. However, the steps you take immediately afterward can impact your compensation.
- Contact the police.
- Obtain the names and contact information of witnesses.
- Take photos of the accident scene.
- Seek medical care.
- Write down everything you remember about the accident in a journal.
- Avoid talking to insurance adjusters without legal representation.
- Talk to a lawyer.
How Obtain Maximum Compensation
Filing a claim for a hit and run accident can be time-consuming and confusing. That’s why you should have an experienced lawyer on your side. He or she can help you gather the appropriate evidence, negotiate with the insurance company and represent you in court.
Schedule a consultation with a hit and run lawyer in Simi Valley CA today.