If you were hurt in a truck accident, a trucking accident attorney in Simi Valley CA may be able to help. Truck accidents can result in catastrophic injuries, and you deserve to be compensated for that. A lawyer can help you file a lawsuit and protect your legal rights.
How Truck Accidents Differ from Car Accidents
Not all vehicle accidents are created equal. Truck accidents are very different from traditional car accidents. Here are some of the differences you should be aware of:
- Truck Accidents Result in More Serious Injuries: Commercial trucks are considerably larger and heavier than traditional vehicles. Therefore, collisions involving trucks can result in more serious injuries, like traumatic brain injuries, burns, spinal cord injuries and chest injuries.
- There May Be More Than One Liable Party: When you get into a car accident with a passenger vehicle, the other driver is the only liable party you have to deal with. However, if you get injured in a truck accident, there may be multiple liable parties, including the truck driver, truck company and trucking manufacturer. This can make your legal claim more complicated.
- Truck Companies Have Larger Insurance Policies: Since commercial trucks can cause a lot more damage than passenger vehicles in accidents, truck companies often have insurance policies that are worth millions of dollars. Therefore, the insurance company will work hard to find ways to avoid liability. That’s why it’s crucial to have a skilled trucking accident attorney in Simi Valley CA on your side.
- The Cargo Trucks Carry Can Be Dangerous: Commercial trucks carry large amounts of cargo. If it isn’t loaded or secured properly, it can get loose and cause a major accident.
- Truck Drivers Have to Follow Strictest Regulations: Commercial truck drivers are held to a higher legal standard than drivers of passenger vehicles. In addition to following the traditional rules of the road, they have to follow hours of service regulations. If drivers are caught driving more hours than they are supposed to, they can be held liable in an accident.
What to Do If You Were in a Truck Accident
If you were injured in a truck accident, your first step is to seek medical attention. Truck accidents often result in severe injuries, so you want to get those treated as soon as possible.
Then, you should discuss your case with a qualified truck accident attorney. He or she can help you gather the necessary evidence to prove your case and negotiate with the insurance company.
Schedule a consultation with a trucking accident attorney in Simi Valley CA.