For many, the upcoming weekend signals the end of the summer. For others, Labor Day Weekend is the perfect reason for a three day party. In a community like the San Fernando Valley, where public transportation is not the first choice for many party-goers, this means more drunk drivers on the road. If you or your loved one are injured in an alcohol or drug related auto accident, know that the law is on your side.
Alcohol impairs one’s ability to operate a motor vehicle, such as a car or motorcycle, and is the reason for many serious auto accidents. According to recent statistics from Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) drunk driving fatalities are on the rise.
- 867 representing 28.9% of all total traffic deaths, a 4.6% increase from last year.
Additionally, drunk driving costs taxpayers $5.4 billion each year in subsidies for drunk driving fatalities. In other words, no one wins when an inebriated driver makes the decision to drive.
The LAPD has been on an on-going campaign to crack down on drunk driving, and for good reason:
- One person is killed every half-hour due to drunk driving.
- Each year approximately 16,000 Americans are killed in alcohol-related crashes
- Alcohol is a factor in nearly half of all traffic fatalities.
- Every other minute, another person is seriously injured in an alcohol related crash.
- More 18 – 20-year-olds died in lower BAC (between .01 and .09) alcohol-related crashes than any other 3-year age group.
- Each year in the U.S. there are over 120 million episodes of impaired driving.
- About 1.4 million arrests are made annually for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.
These statistics are alarming. The LAPD also points out that $70.5 billion is lost in quality of life each year due to these crashes. If you or a loved one was seriously in a drunk driving accident in the San Fernando Valley, you may be able to file a civil lawsuit that allows you to recover for pain and suffering, lost quality of life, lost wages, and more.
Many drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol flee the scene of the accident before stopping to see the wreckage they have caused. If you were the victim of a drunk driving hit and run, contact an experienced hit and run accident attorney immediately. Time is of the essence in hit and run cases.
Attorney Barry P. Goldberg and his legal team wishes everyone a safe and fun Labor Day weekend. If you have questions about a drunk driving accident where you were injured, contact him for a free consultation.