Wrongful Death Lawyer Attorney
Dealing with the death of a loved one is hard enough by itself, and when it’s a wrongful death, it becomes even harder to pick up the pieces. If you decide to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit, there is even more thrown onto your plate, but it’s most often worth the fight. You don’t deserve what was handed to you and a wrongful death lawyer can help you get some type of compensation for it. Not sure you can handle a court case right now? It may or may not happen.
Going to Trial
A trial can cost a lot of money, and definitely a lot of time. Many attorneys will help you avoid having to go to trial, but it’s something you should prepare for anyway. You can’t know what the other party will do and you can’t know whether it will be easy to settle outside of court or not. Speak with your attorney to learn what happens when a case goes to trial so you can mental and physically prepare for it, supposing it will happen. Some aspects of a court case to speak with your lawyer about include:
- Filing – After the plaintiff files the lawsuit, the defendant typically has a certain amount of time to reply.
- Discovery – After filing, both parties have a chance to collect information from each other that relates to the case.
- Pre-Trial – Both attorneys can make a legal argument in a pre-trial motion, striving to dispute evidence, filing concerns and other similar motions.
- Settlement – Before a court trial takes place, the judge will typically help the parties try to reach a settlement through mediation or other compromising.
- Trial – The actual trial consists of presenting witnesses, presenting evidence, cross-examinations, evidentiary arguments and so on, after which a verdict is given.
- Appeal – If either party feels the verdict came due to a legal error, they can appeal the decision.
Settling Outside of Court
With your lawyer fighting the case, you could have the claim litigated in a shorter amount of time than a court trial would take. Be sure you have an attorney you trust to fight the case properly and fully so nothing gets lost between the cracks of an out-of-court settlement. You want to ensure that even though you’re not settling inside a court, you still receive the compensation you deserve for the wrongful death of your loved one.
Speak With Your Lawyer About Settling Your Case
With a wrongful death lawsuit in your hands, it’s important to contact your lawyer for assistance in getting through a court trial or settling outside of court. Contact a wrongful death lawyer attorney in Longwood, FL today.
Thanks to David & Philpot, PL for their insight into personal injury claims and wrongful death lawsuits.