Uber Accident Lawyer Canoga Park, CA
Car accidents can happen anywhere and at any time. Under California law, if you’re injured in a crash that was caused by another driver, you may be entitled to financial compensation for the losses your injuries have caused you. One type of accident that has been increasing is ridesharing accidents. As this mode of transportation becomes more popular, the number of crashes that occur rises. If you have been injured in a ridesharing accident, an Uber accident lawyer Canoga, CA clients recommend can explain what your legal options for damages may be.
Who Is Responsible?
There are several different ways a victim can sustain injuries in an Uber accident:
- They were a passenger in an Uber when the crash occurred.
- They were a driver or passenger in another vehicle involved in a crash with an Uber vehicle.
- They were a pedestrian or cyclist that was hit by an Uber vehicle.
In car accidents where the vehicle is engaged in doing some type of busines – such as a cab or bus – the vehicle driver is working for a company. The company is the entity that owns the vehicle so in these crashes, when their driver is at fault for the crash, victims pursue damages against the company.
Car accidents involving Ubers are different and can become more complicated than a crash involving a taxi or other commercial vehicle. This is why victims should consult with a Canoga, CA Uber accident lawyer if they have been involved in a ridesharing accident.
Uber drivers are not considered employees of the company. Instead, they are legally considered contractors. When there has been a crash, it is often complex trying to determine who is responsible for the victim’s losses. Under current California law, the following apply:
- If the Uber driver was not in “available” status in their driver app, they are responsible for all of the damages that result from the accident.
- If the Uber driver was in “available” status in their driver app, but did not have passengers in their vehicle, the Uber driver is responsible for the damages, however, the Uber does have additional liability insurance available if the driver’s insurance company does not cover all of the victim’s damages.
- If the Uber driver had an Uber clients in the vehicle at the time of the crash, Uber’s liability insurance will cover up to $1 million in damages. If the corporation denies the claim, there is the additional issue with the driver’s insurance company also denying the claim since the driver was working at the time of the crash and personal car insurance policies typically does not cover accidents occurring at the time the driver was involved in a business enterprise.
Have You Been Injured?
If you have been injured in a ridesharing crash, contact the legal team at team at Barry P. Goldberg, A Professional Law Corporation to meet with a seasoned uber accident lawyer in Canoga, CA. Call our office today.
If you have been injured in an Uber accident, or accident involving another rideshare company, it may help to speak with a Canoga Park, CA Uber accident lawyer. Navigating the legal aftermath of a ridesharing accident is not as straightforward as the aftermath of an “ordinary” passenger vehicle accident. Working with the experienced team at Barry P. Goldberg, A Professional Law Corporation can help to ensure that your rights are protected and your legal options are fully clarified in the wake of your ridesharing collision.
Uber Accident Claims Are Not the Same as Other Car Accident Claims
In 2009 UberCab was launched. Once it developed its mobile application, it become Uber. Today, it is active in more than 700 areas and has assets worth more than $40 billion. Hundreds of thousands of drivers are hired as independent contractors by Uber. Socially, people recognize Uber as a rideshare service, but under U.S. legislation it is a transportation network company.
There are many benefits to accessing transportation through rideshare companies, including convenience, affordability, a decrease in drunk driving rates, and the creation of new jobs. However, despite the benefits, there are also problems with Uber; particularly in how they handle accidents.
Uber Risks and Accidents in California
Uber drivers usually spend hours on the road during their shifts, sometimes driving with rowdy passengers or in unfamiliar areas all while possibly having to check their navigation on their phone. Each of these situations could be dangerous. When harm occurs, regardless of how it has occured, Uber may be held responsible. However, the aftermath of ridesharing accidents is complex, for both drivers and passengers. It’s therefore important to work with a knowledgeable Canoga Park, CA Uber accident lawyer instead of making assumptions about liability and compensation.
What Uber Drivers Should Know
If you are an Uber driver, you will be insured if you’re in an accident. However, this is only true if the accident should occur during a certain period of time. As soon as the Uber driver application turns on, there will be three types of coverage available, depending on the situation. A Canoga Park, CA Uber accident lawyer can explain how your particular scenario will affect your case:
- The app is on and you are waiting for someone to request you. At this time, Uber insures you for liability, and only if your insurance company does not cover you at this time.
- You have accepted a new request and are going to pick up location.
- You have picked up a passenger and are on your way to the drop off point.
In the latter two situations, Uber generally offers a one-million-dollar liability policy in addition to both comprehensive and collision coverage, as well as uninsured and underinsured coverage.
It must be noted that if an accident occurs while you are going to pick up a passenger, Uber might deny that you accepted the request. If you are able to, you should screenshot the accepted ride request following an accident. Some Uber drivers are also choosing to put recording devices in their car just in case anything should happen.
What Passengers Should Understand
As a passenger of Uber, the company should fully insure you. This is because as the passenger you have the right to assume you will arrive safely at your destination. If Uber cannot provide this to you, and you become injured, you have the right to recover damages. In the event that you find it difficult to recover your damages, you should speak with a Canoga Park, CA Uber accident lawyer about your legal options.