Driver Fatigue Accident Lawyer Chatsworth, CA
Were you injured in an accident because another driver fell asleep at the wheel? If so, a driver fatigue accident lawyer Chatsworth, CA would like to speak with you. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a conservative estimate suggests there are at least 100,000 fatigue-related accidents each year. These collisions result in approximately 1,500 deaths and 71,000 injuries.
Across the U.S., drowsy drivers are a serious issue, including right here in California. As a car accident lawyer Chatsworth, CA has to offer, we find these collisions to be some of the worst. This is because the driver tends to fail to take any evasive actions, such as swerving or braking. Thus, the impact is often significant.
At least 50% of drowsy driving accidents involve only one vehicle. If this applies to your own case, and you were the passenger, it may be possible to seek compensation from the driver’s insurance. It is certainly possible for fatigued driving to also cause multi-car collisions. This is particularly common when a fatigued driver fails to brake in a traffic jam or crosses the center line or median into oncoming traffic.
After a drowsy driving accident, lawyer Barry P. Goldberg would advise you to consult with a driver fatigue accident lawyer Chatsworth, CA. Please do so prior to speaking with the insurance adjuster and before accepting, or agreeing to, a settlement offer. Barry P. Goldberg can advise you about your legal rights and options. As an established law firm in Chatsworth, CA, we have the necessary knowledge and experience needed to recover maximum damages. Please contact us now.
Risk Factors for Driver Fatigue Accidents
According to the NHTSA, a typical driver fatigue accidents tends to exhibit some, or all, of the following characteristics:
- A single vehicle departs the correct lanes of the road
- The driver fails to avoid a collision
- The accident occurs on a high speed road, such as a highway
- The collision is serious, and could result in a rollover
- The accident happens in the early morning hours, mid afternoon, or late night.
The following factors can increase the risk of a car accident involving fatigue:
- Lack of sleep
- Taking sedating medications
- Consuming alcohol
- Consuming certain drugs
- Unknown or untreated sleeping disorders
- Driving between midnight and 6 A.M.
- Driving on an unlit road at night
- Mid-afternoon driving (especially for elderly)
- Driving for long hours
- Driving a lengthy distance
Although anyone could be involved in a drowsy driving accident, these groups of people present the highest risk for this kind of collision:
- Young people, especially males, between the ages of 16 and 29.
- Individuals who suffer from undiagnosed sleep apnea or narcolepsy.
- Truck drivers
- Shift workers with interrupted sleep or who are on night shifts
When a driver falls asleep at the wheel, even if they don’t admit to it, a Chatsworth, CA driver fatigue accident lawyer can often prove liability. Barry P. Goldberg knows how to establish what really happened at the time of the accident. We are ready to utilize our vast wealth of resources, including expert witnesses, to prove your case. To learn more, please call a driver fatigue accident lawyer in Chatsworth, CA now.